“USA 🇺🇸 ~From Massachusetts Through Rhode Island and Connecticut ~ More Lobster, Trains, and Historic Lighthouses”

We continued our fabulous New England adventures, with Chelsie still adventuring  with us, for a few more days. We are loving every moment of our time together, knowing in advance, just how fast time flies when having fun! 

We broke camp in Gloucester, Massachusetts, and we got an early enough start, but what we did not plan on was the traffic, which plagued us the entire time we traveled in Connecticut. We had plans to stop in Rhode Island, on this day, as we rolled through, but those plans were dashed, as we began to wondered if we would get to set up camp with any daylight left. The days are getting shorter at this point. Yep, it was a long day, but we made it to Mystic, Connecticut KOA, safe and sound.

Entering Connecticut from Rhode Island via Massachusetts

We knew by the time we stopped for dinner, we would be setting up camp in the dark.
Connecticut is a good sized state, so I knew we would not get to explore every part. For this reason, and the crazy heavy traffic (and accidents) we dealt with every time we left camp, we stayed coastal, only venturing inland when we had to take Chelsie to the Airport in Hartsford. 

We loved Connecticut and every place we got to explore was marvelous! I now say: “if Maine and Massachusetts had a child, it would be Connecticut!”

Its been a long awaited dream of mine to return to New England after 20 plus years since seeing some places, as well as 55 years, since seeing other places).
Daryl and Chelsie are equally enamored with all the East Coast has to offer, just as I am.

Tiny might be small, but she has what we need, and Daryl cooked us a mighty good prime rib dinner tonight!

Our KOA campsite is very nice, and they have cabin options. Cute.

Just to show, for those asking, Chelsie has plenty of room to sleep in Tiny “way” over a crossed from us! 😂😂….She also sleeps like the dead, when not “on” for the pitter patter of her littles, so we can be up making coffee in the morning and not bother her.

The Essex Steam Train is the name for the Valley Railroad’s popular excursion, operating on a former New York, New Haven & Hartford (The “New Haven)” in south-central Connecticut.
It offers one of the only locations within the state to ride a heritage railroad, and the only excursion to do so using authentic steam locomotives, over a distance of more than 20 miles.
As a result it has grown into a popular attraction over the years since it first began hosting public excursions in the early 1970s.
We recommend!

…..And, just like in Massachusetts, the Eastern Seaboard continues on with many more historic ports, towns and villages. Also continuing, would be those amazing rock walls, built as far back as the settlements themselves.
Just like up north, we drove through as many of these historic places as we had time for. It is quite evident there is great pride in ownership in New England. Spotless yards and grand homes. It’s rare to see an old home left to decay around here.
We feasted our eyes upon beautiful bay views, and historic architecture. We had some rain, but mostly sun and with that, a few rainbows.

Here is a list of the many towns and villages we went in and out of. The history is unending here, and the autumn timing is once again a big hit!
…..Stonington, Old Seabrook, New London, Clinton, Niantic, Old Lyme, New Haven, West Haven, Guilford and Milford, to name a few.

Going to the Airport, we went through Bridgeport and into Hartford, but I wasn’t in the mood to take photos, with the run to drop Chelsie off at the airport.

⬆️ Goodbyes are hard, but in this case we will see each other in less than two weeks time, when we arrive at their house in N Carolina!
Enjoy the Connecticut scenery and writing ⬇️

In 1658, Massachusetts claimed the town and called it Southertown.
Governor John Winthrop, Jr. obtained the Connecticut charter from England in 1662, which set the boundaries of the town. The General Court changed the name from Southertown to Mystic in 1665, then renamed it Stonington in 1666. Originally, Stonington was known for farming in the coastal and Caribbean trade. In time, the town became known for its shipbuilding, sealing and whaling.
Militias from Stonington and nearby towns repelled two British attacks; once during the American Revolution, and again in the War of 1812.
In the 19th century, Stonington prospered as a railroad and steamboat terminus between Boston and New York. Small businesses thrived and the Joslyn Fire Arms Company (later the Atwood Machine Company) and the American Velvet Mill provided jobs ashore, while the fishing fleet continued to thrive at sea.
Many Sea Captains and business owners built beautiful homes which line Water Street and Main Street.
Today, Stonington’s heritage is preserved in its tree-lined village streets and historic houses, which tell the stories of the people who made Stonington one of the most charming small towns in Connecticut.

Once threatened by demolition, this magnificent home was purchased by the Stonington Historical Society in 1994 and is now preserved as a National Historic Landmark. Memorabilia pertaining to Nathaniel’s discovery of Antarctica and the Palmer brothers’ adventurous lives is on display, as are family portraits, furnishings, and artifacts.
This 14-room Victorian mansion was built in 1852 by two brothers; captains Nathaniel Brown Palmer and Alexander Smith Palmer. Majestically sited, overlooking the upper end of Stonington harbor, “Pine Point” offers sweeping water views in all directions. From its octagonal cupola, the family could identify ships arriving from distant ports.


First settled in the seventeenth century, the town had one of its most storied events in 1814, when the badly outnumbered and outgunned townspeople managed to repel an attack by five British warships commanded by Commodore Thomas Hardy. The town was a thriving port, dominated by fishing, whaling, and shipbuilding, and the first U.S. ships involved in sealing in the Antarctic were based in Stonington.
Responding to increasing ship traffic, Congress allocated funds in 1822 for a lighthouse at the southernmost point of land in Stonington, to mark the harbor entrance. Benjamin Chase won the contract for construction of the station, and the thirty-foot cylindrical stone tower and detached stone keeper’s dwelling were finished in 1823, at a cost of roughly $3,000. Originally, ten whale oil lamps set in thirteen-inch reflectors and arranged in an arc were used to cast a stream of light out to sea. On a clear night, the light was visible for over twelve miles. During the day, the tower was used as a guiding reference point for sailors entering the harbor, in tandem with the highest steeple in town.

DuBois Beach

Light House Point Park ⬇️

For a brief 73 years, light beams from the lighthouse at Lighthouse Point extended welcoming, comforting arms to ships and sailors, returning from far away voyages; coming back from all points of the world.
Today, the beacon from the New Haven Light House at Lighthouse Point is dark, but the tower remains, still greeting ships from around the world, in to New Haven.
The New Haven Lighthouse at Lighthouse Point in New Haven is located at the Eastern point of New Haven Harbor. Old Maps show it as “Five Mile Point;” called that because that is the distance between it and the center of New Haven.
It was also called Morris Point during the Colonial period.

⬆️ Though this historic Carousel is currently closed down; primarily due to the destructible seaside weather. We could look inside the many windows, though. Clearly, it’s a beautiful and cared-for antique. At least it is closed up and secure, while it sits unused.
The Carousel at Lighthouse Point Park is a unique historic facility. Besides housing the antique Carousel, the building provided ample space for private functions with beautiful views of New Haven Harbor and Long Island Sound, especially at sunset. Built in 1916, it is a rare and important example of American folk art, BUT, Hurricanes, age and gradual deterioration from the seaside location caused the carousel to eventually close down, and the building was boarded up in 1977.

I heard about this place that claims to have the best Lobster Rolls in all of New England. So, we gave them a shot on Chelsie’s last night with us. They were, in fact, the best Lobster Rolls I had ever had!

Lobster Roll with Lobster  Bisque 

After we dined on Lobster, we went to a nearby DQ that was open on their last day, before closing down for the winter season.
We did our part to help reduce their inventory 😆 *******


Watch Hill

On Chelsie’s departure day, we had our alarm set to get up while still dark, and drive to Rhode Island from Connecticut, for the Sunrise!
It was only thirty minutes, and though super cold out and dark, we will exhilarated!
It was the most perfect ending to our wonderful trip, together. I could not have ask for anything better!
Daryl did pass on this RI adventure, in lieu of a little more sleep and alone time without Yacky ladies 😂. He did not say this, but one can only assume.
It’s never easy finding access roads to lighthouses, as many are privately owned. After driving down a narrow access road onto the beach, and getting slightly stuck in the sand, we got out of there and found another road/path. That didn’t work either. Finally, with time running out, we found a parking spot and walked through that road/path down to the beach. It was perfect. Our backdrop on this beach, just as dawn was breaking, was the historic Ocean House. It was a sight to behold!
Down the beach, not far, we could see the lighthouse of Watch Hill. (The one we tried to get to). The only other humans out at sunrise on this beach were some fishermen; shore fishing with no luck that we could see, in the fishing department anyway.
After the sun came up, we continued exploring. Chelsie did not get in on all the lighthouses in Maine like we did. After Maine, it’s almost impossible to get on the property, let alone inside any historic lights. Chelsie was  determined to find the road to that lighthouse, as the beach access was well posted with “do not trespass” signs, and of course I was game.
We made our way back to Rusty, and off we went. A few hits and misses again, as we drove the roadways, then Chelsie found a way in. It was even legal!
I high-fived her and she said “Well. I did learn from the best!” ❤️

At the turn of the century, hotels dotted the New England coastline, inviting guests to escape the heat of the cities and spend their summers by the sea.
Famously known for its warm yellow facade and stunning views of the Atlantic, the Rhode Island Ocean House opened in 1868 just after the Civil War.
For those who could afford the luxury of travel, it became the quintessential summer home, attracting many distinguished guests in the early 1900s.
Ocean House’s 13 acres of beautiful oceanfront landscape, overlook a 650-foot private white-sand beach with views of Montauk, Block Island and the Atlantic Ocean. 

⬆️ The Watch Hill Lighthouse 

⬆️ The front of the Ocean House

The Watch Hill Lighthouse has served as a nautical beacon for ships since 1745, when the Rhode Island colonial government erected a watchtower and beacon during the French and Indian War and Revolutionary War. Destroyed in a 1781 storm, plans were discussed to build a new lighthouse, to mark the eastern entrance to Fisher’s Island Sound, and to warn mariners of a dangerous reef, southwest of Watch Hill.
President Thomas Jefferson signed an act to build the lighthouse in 1806 and construction was completed in 1807. This first lighthouse stood 35 feet tall.
In 1827, a rotating light was installed to differentiate the light from that of the Stoneington Light in Connecticut. Erosion forced the lighthouse to close in 1855 and move it further away from the bluff edge.
The next lighthouse, opened in 1856, and stood 45 feet tall. Sixteen years later the steamer Metis crashed off Watch Hill in 1872 killing 130 people. A United States Life-Saving Service station was built next to the lighthouse where it operated until the 1940s and was destroyed in 1963. In 1873 Captain Jared Starr Crandall, keeper of the lighthouse, was awarded the Congressional Gold Medal for rescue operations involving the Metis. In 1879, Capt. Crandall’s widow, Sally Ann (Gavitt) Crandall, became the first woman lighthouse keeper there.
In 1907, the steamer Larchmont collided with a schooner, killing 200 people, four miles from the lighthouse.
The Hurricane of 1938 caused severe damage to the lighthouse.
The Leif Viking ran aground a few hundred feet from the lighthouse in 1962, and although there were no injuries, the ship was stranded for nine days.
The lighthouse was automated in 1986 and leased to the Watch Hill Lighthouse Keepers Association.







OREGON again:






















Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.

Go To Home Page

Archive Blog Posts of Our Country Visits

About Us

About Us

Hello and Welcome to our Travel Blog Website, We are into our fourth year of our full-time Gypsy Lifestyle; buying one-way tickets to circumvent the globe. We enjoy writing about our experiences and taking photos of our adventuring along the… Read More